You'll be working with the Development and Systems teams to automate and maintain the deployment, builds and health of our industry leading SaaS marketing platform. Our products are all available 24x7 with a targeted uptime of 99.9% over the year, meaning that there is little time for maintenance windows or downtime. Our high volume systems deal with high throughput (100s hits per second; 100s of megabits of traffic per second) and we have users in almost every country in the world; so you can expect to be creating, and working on, cutting edge infrastructure.
Our teams develop using the agile methodology and do deployments on a 2 week cycle. Our products are developed using C# .NET in Visual Studio 2012 with Team City and MS Build running continuous integrations. The production system runs on a mixture of physical and virtual hardware running Windows 2008 / R2, SQL Server 2008 and IIS 7. We are planning to upgrade these components in the coming year to the latest versions.
The role is varied and will be split between assisting the Development and Systems teams in the provision of new systems architectures and maintaining those that already exist. The ideal candidate will have a passion for automation and scripting in development arena, and a desire to proactively search out and resolve security and abuse issues in the use of the application.
As our DevOps engineer you'll typically be involved in day to day tasks such as:
- Proactively monitoring the health of the applications and servers running our products, taking remedial action where appropriate at either a software or hardware level
- Deploying regular code releases and patches as necessary
- Automating build and deployment tasks across multiple sites and projects to improve the efficiency of the development team
- Triaging bugs and problems reported by the support team and implementing short term fixes where appropriate
- Proactively monitoring the usage of the application by our key clients to ensure they are receiving appropriate service levels
Essential Role Requirements
Excellent scripting language skills, preferably PowerShell.
Excellent knowledge of Windows server 2008 & 2008 R2 operating systems.
Excellent knowledge of IIS 7 and above
Understanding of Microsoft NLB and IIS shared configuration.
Working knowledge of SQL Server 2008 and above
Knowledge of VMware VSphere virtualisation products
A thorough understanding of TCP/IP networking and DNS
The ability to accurately document solutions and proposals.
A desire to automate and document manual processes
Desirable Role Requirements
Knowledge C# and .NET framework
Team City / MS Build
Previous experience of working in a hosting environment.